Monday, December 29, 2008

TBR Challenge


I stumbled upon the TBR (to be read) Challenge and decided to give it a try. I haven't been reading as much as I would like over the past 15 months (I wonder why?!?) and think that this might give me a push in the right direction.

The rules
:
* the challenge is to read 12 TBR books in 12 months -- you can read those all in one month if you want, or one a month, or however you wanna do it.
* you need to have a list posted somewhere for others to see (even if it's in a comment here)
* you CANNOT change your list after January 1st, 2009!!!
* you can create an Alternates list of MAXIMUM 12 books, if you want, in order to have options to choose from (you can read these in place of books on your original list).
* audiobooks and e-books ARE allowed
* re-reads are NOT allowed, as they aren't TRUE "TBRs"
* you CAN overlap with other challenges
* OPTIONAL: you can join the Yahoo! Group created for participants of the TBR Challenge, if you want to have a place to keep your list, or just to share with others about how you're doing! :)

Here are my TBRs:

1. Twilight finished 1/6/09
2. In Defense of Food
3. Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
4. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk
5. New Moon finished sometime, forgot to post a review, oops!
6. The Last Lecture
7. Scarpetta
8. Animal, Vegeable, Miracle
9. Black and Blue finished 2/7/09
10. Eat, Pray, Love
11. Silent Knife
12. Odd Hours

Alternates

1. Schindler's List
2. The Choice
3. Lightning
4. The Time Traveler's Wife
5. Running with Scissors finished 4/11/09
6. Eclipse finished 3/18/09
7. Breaking Dawn
8. A is for Alibi
9. Love and Respect
10. Friday Night Knitting Club finished 5/30/09
11. The Thirteenth Tale
12. The Audacity of Hope

My personal goal is to read 18 of these. We'll see how I do.

3 comments:

Casey@LoveWhatIs said...

Hmmm. Where did you find a challenge like that? :) I have read 1, 2, 5, and 10 of your TBR list and 4, 6, and 7 of your alternate list. I enjoyed them all. In fact, I just finished In Defense of Food and Eat, Pray, Love this weekend. I hope you enjoy your books!

Melissa said...

be sure to post your reviews of those books! i'd be interested in reading your thoughts...

for example,

eat, pray, love = over-the-top selfish chick lit, & i hated it.
twilight = over-the-top teenage fluff, but i loved it!

makes no sense! i love that your opinion of books so greatly depends upon what you're currently experiencing. which is what makes it perfect for blogging!

Karen said...

Hmm... Casey, I have no idea where I would have found a challenge like this ;).

I actually started reading eat pray love earlier this year (I got it for Christmas last year) but never finished it. I hate leaving books unfinished. I got Twilight for Christmas this year so I figured I'd add it to the list as well.